Can you please provide guidance regarding the Eid Salāh (Hanafi) during the current lockdown conditions.
الجواب حامدا ومصليا ومسلما
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Note: The main points to note for Eid Salāh and the full method are outlined in our answer below. All the guidelines detailed below should be practiced upon, whilst acting in accordance to the latest government guidelines.
According to the Hanafī School of thought, Eid prayer is regarded the same as the Friday (Jumu’ah) prayer, in that they are both communal events, where the conditions of the Jumu’ah to be valid also apply for Eid Salāh. This similarity of conditions are with the exception of the Khutbah (Sermon) which is not Wājib (obligatory) in Eid Salah like Jumu’ah, rather it is Sunnah (and therefore strongly advised), meaning in principle, the Eid Salāh would be valid if no Khutbah (Sermon) was given but disliked nonetheless.
Due the reasons outlined above, including the inability to meet all the conditions of the Eid Salah to be valid, the Eid Salāh, in principle, shouldn’t be performed at home.
However, due to the current circumstances, if the condition of congregation is met (4 adult/mature male individuals), then the Salah will be deemed valid, as some contemporary scholars have stated. Thus, In the home setting, the females and children from the same household can also participate, but the minimum requirement for Adult Male Individuals must be met (4 including imam).
Individuals who do not perform Eid Salāh may perform two or four rakʿat nafl Salāh and this may also count as Salāt-ad-Duha’, but will not be regarded as a Qadha’ (replacement) for Eid Salāh. Nevertheless, one should have faith and conviction in Allah of gaining reward for his intention.
Finally, we should supplicate to The Almighty to protect us all and remove this calamity, so we are blessed with the opportunity & ease of accessing our Masājid once again.
Main points to note for the Eid Salah:
1. Eid Salāh can be performed at anytime from shortly after sunrise (10-15 mins) until midday.
2. There is no Adhān or Iqāmah for Eid Salāh.
3. The Khutbah (Sermon) will be delivered after the Salah.
4. The Khutbah (Sermon) is not Wājib (obligatory) in Eid Salah like Jumu’ah, rather it is Sunnah (and therefore strongly advised), meaning in principle, the Eid Salāh would be valid if no Khutbah (Sermon) was given. Nevertheless, this would be disliked.
Method for Eid Salāh (Brief)
1. Firstly, two Rakʿat will be performed with recitation aloud (the Imām will recite).
2. There are a total of six extra takbīrs, three before the recitation in the first Rakʿat and three after the recitation in the second Rakʿat.
– In the first Rak’at, there will be the Takbīr Tahrīmah plus three extra takbīrs.
– In the second Rak’at, there will be the three extra takbīrs plus the Takbir of Ruku’.
The Detailed Method for the Eid Salāh is as outlined below:
1. Say the First Takbeer (Takbīr Tahrīmah), fold the hands and then read Thanā in the usual manner (like any other Salāh).
2. Say Takbīr again for a second time (1st extra Takbīr) and drop your hands down to the side, as they are in the standing position (Qawmāh) after Rukūʿ.
3. Say Takbīr again for a third time (2nd extra Takbīr) and drop your hands down to the side again.
4. Say Takbīr again for a fourth time (3nd extra Takbīr) and fold the hands.
5. The Imam will then recite Sūrah Fātihah and an additional Sūrah, whilst those behind will listen.
6. Perform Ruku’, Qawmāh (standing after Ruku’) and Sajdah as usual and then stand up for the second Rakʿat.
7. The Imam will then recite Sūrah Fātihah and an additional Sūrah, whilst those behind will listen.
8. Say Takbīr once (1st extra Takbīr) and drop your hands down to the side.
9. Say Takbīr a second time (2nd extra Takbīr) and drop your hands down to the side.
10. Say Takbīr a third time (3rd extra Takbīr) and drop your hands down to the side.
11. Say Takbīr a fourth and final time and go into Rukūʿ. Note: This is the Takbīr for the Ruku and the three extra takbirs (whilst raising hands) came before this.
12. Complete the rest of the Salāh in the usual manner, just like any other Salāh.
13. After Salāh, render the Khutbāh (Sermon) whilst standing. A short & sweet Khutbah will suffice. The template for a Simple Khutbāh prepared by Shaykh Yusuf Shabbir (Islamic Portal, UK) can be accessed here.
Note: This is an outline of the method of Eid Salāh for those unaware. The Imām should discuss this with the people behind beforehand to make sure everyone is aware. The Imām should lead in all of these actions and those behind will follow. Finally, those who perform Nafl (Duha’) etc will perform individually as normal Nafl Salāh is performed.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best.
23 Ramadhān / 16 May 2020
Updated: 1 Shawwāl 1441/ 24 May 2020
Mufti Tahir Wadee | Mufti Yusuf Ilolvi
[To see their profiles, click here]
Note: This fatwa is only to be viewed with the question asked. In the event of presenting this to a third party, please ensure it is coupled with the original question.
Submit any further questions via the form on our ‘Contact’ page, or via the social icons in the side-bar (linked to our Telegram, Instagram and Twitter pages). For latest updates/notifications, please be sure to follow our Telegram Channel: DeenSpire Telegram and switch notifications on to get updates on any articles/fatwas published.
Disclaimer: Please note, Deenspire is not an Islamic Shari’ah Law Court; hence, the opinions provided by us are not intended to be a ruling as one would expect to receive from a Shari’ah Court. The aim is to provide a better understanding of issues from an Islamic perspective. We also take no responsibility if our answers are used out of their intended context, nor of any party who may or may not act upon them. DeenSpire is therefore exempted from loss or damage howsoever caused. Any reference to other websites or resources provided in our responses should not be taken as an endorsement of all the content on that website; in fact, it is restricted to the particular material being cited and the relevant information extracted from it.
وأمّا شَرائِطُ وُجُوبِها وجَوازِها فَكُلُّ ما هُوَ شَرْطُ وُجُوبِ الجُمُعَةِ وجَوازِها فَهُوَ شَرْطُ وُجُوبِ صَلاةِ العِيدَيْنِ وجَوازِها مِن الإمامِ والمِصْرِ والجَماعَةِ والوَقْتِ إلّا الخُطْبَةَ فَإنَّها سُنَّةٌ بَعْدَ الصَّلاةِ. ولَوْ تَرْكَها جازَتْ صَلاةُ العِيدِ. – انتهى
وقال القاضي خان في فتاويه (١/١١٤): ويشترط للعيد ما يشترط للجمعة من المصر والسلطان والإذن العام ، إلا..أنّ الجمعة لا تجوز بدون الخطبة ، وصلاة العيد تجوز بدونها. انتهى
[ , 1/114]
قلت: أرأيت الرجل يفوته العيد هل عليه أن يصلي شيئًا؟ قال: إن شاء فعل، وإن شاء لم يفعل. قلت: فكم يصلي إن أراد أن يصلي؟ قال : إن شاء أربع ركعات، صان شاء ركعتين. انتهى
وَرَسُولُ اللَّهِ – صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ – مَا فَعَلَهَا إلَّا بِالْجَمَاعَةِ كَالْجُمُعَةِ، فَلَا يَجُوزُ أَدَاؤُهَا إلَّا بِتِلْكَ الصِّفَةِ؛ وَلِأَنَّهَا مُخْتَصَّةٌ بِشَرَائِطَ يَتَعَذَّرُ تَحْصِيلُهَا فِي الْقَضَاءِ، فَلَا تُقْضَى كَالْجُمُعَةِ وَلَكِنَّهُ يُصَلِّي أَرْبَعًا مِثْلَ صَلَاةِ الضُّحَى إنْ شَاءَ؛ لِأَنَّهَا إذَا فَاتَتْ لَا يُمْكِنُ تَدَارُكُهَا بِالْقَضَاءِ لِفَقْدِ الشَّرَائِطِ، فَلَوْ صَلَّى مِثْلَ صَلَاةِ الضُّحَى لِيَنَالَ الثَّوَابَ كَانَ حَسَنًا لَكِنْ لَا يَجِبُ لِعَدَمِ دَلِيلِ الْوُجُوبِ، وَقَدْ رُوِيَ عَنْ ابْنِ مَسْعُودٍ أَنَّهُ قَالَ مَنْ فَاتَتْهُ صَلَاةُ الْعِيدِ صَلَّى أَرْبَعًا – انتهى
فَإنْ عَجَزَ صَلّى أرْبَعًا كالضُّحى. أَيْ اسْتِحْبَابًا كَمَا فِي الْقُهُسْتَانِيِّ وَلَيْسَ هَذَا قَضَاءً لِأَنَّهُ لَيْسَ عَلَى كَيْفِيَّتِهَا ط.قُلْت: وَهِيَ صَلَاةُ الضُّحَى كَمَا فِي الْحلبة عَنْ الْخَانِيَّةِ فَقَوْلُهُ تَبَعًا لِلْبَدَائِعِ كَالضُّحَى مَعْنَاهُ أَنَّهُ لَا يُكَبِّرُ فِيهَا لِلزَّوَائِدِ مِثْلَ الْعِيدِ تَأَمَّلْ. انتهى
[Dar Al-Mukhtar, 5/135. Farfur]