I am in desperate need of help, please. I feel ashamed to tell you as I pray all my Salah and listen to Quran, but I have a habit of watching porn. I need help; I know it is wrong & I love my Allah.
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
Firstly, we commend your consciousness, and it is encouraging to note your realisation of your sins and intention to reform yourself. Indeed, such realisation is the grace of Allah Almighty. You should begin by being grateful to the Almighty by making sincere Tawbah (repentance) and safeguarding yourself from sins. If one makes a firm intention to avoid committing a sin and one holds remorse over one’s past actions, Insha’Allah Allah will wipe his slate clean.
Consider the following ‘Ayaat of the Qur’an al-Karim:
وَالَّذِينَ عَمِلُوا السَّيِّئَاتِ ثُمَّ تَابُوا مِن بَعْدِهَا وَآمَنُوا إِنَّ رَبَّكَ مِن بَعْدِهَا لَغَفُورٌ رَّحِيمٌ
Translation: “But those who committed misdeeds and then repented after them and believed; indeed, your Lord, thereafter, is Forgiving and Merciful.” (Surah Al-A’raaf, ‘Ayah 153)
إِلَّا مَن تَابَ وَآمَنَ وَعَمِلَ عَمَلًا صَالِحًا فَأُولَٰئِكَ يُبَدِّلُ اللَّهُ سَيِّئَاتِهِمْ حَسَنَاتٍ ۗ وَكَانَ اللَّهُ غَفُورًا رَّحِيمًا
Translation: “Except for those who repent, believe and do righteous work. For them Allah will replace their evil deeds with good. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.” (Surah Al-Furqān, ‘Ayah 70)
Also consider the following Ahadith of Nabi (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam):
عَنْ أَنَسٍ، أَنَّ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم قَالَ: كُلُّ ابْنِ آدَمَ خَطَّاءٌ وَخَيْرُ الْخَطَّائِينَ التَّوَّابُونَ
Translation: Anas (Radhiyallahu Anhu) narrated that the Prophet (Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam) said: “Every son of Adam commits sin, and the best of those who commit sin are those who repent.” (Jami Al-Tirmidhi, Hadith 2499)
Allah Almighty has created us to worship Him. However, remember that we have two enemies, the Nafs and the Shaytān. One attacks from within and the other from outside. It is the enemy that attacks from within which is extremely dangerous and can lead to many issues.
إِنَّ النَّفْسَ لَأَمَّارَةٌ بِالسُّوءِ
Translation: “Verily the Nafs incites towards evil.” (Surah Yusuf, ‘Ayah 53)
The fundamental elements useful for battling one’s Nafs through self-reformation are courage and determination. One must try their utmost to remain firm and resolute in their quest, never giving up hope. Initially, suppressing the Nafs from these sins might be extremely difficult, but after constant struggle and battling against the Nafs, the Nafs will be tamed and you will feel pleasure in refraining from such sins.
Dear Brother, it seems that you have already overcome the most difficult step which is admitting and accepting one’s mistaking. Now, it is time to undertake remedial measures to solve your addiction.
In doing so, you may consider the following measures:
• Build self-consciousness that Allah Ta’ala is watching you. Ask yourself if you would commit such acts in the presence of your father or mother or any person you honour and respect?
• Completely abandon all such avenues and means that spurs one’s carnal desires. Keep your devices in a location that everyone is aware one and avoid isolating yourself when using such devices, as such sins generally occur in isolation. If you develop the urge to commit sins on them, immediately switch them off and leave the room to supress your desires.
• Keep yourself occupied at all times. Keep a Tasbeeh (Dhikr Counter) with you and whenever you have time, make Dhikr (remembrance of Allah). Remember that “An idle mind is a devil’s workshop”.
• Frequent the Masjid and the company of pious people.
• A practical system one can adopt to deter oneself from any bad habit is to make a promise to Allah the Almighty that he will not commit the sin, and for each time he does after that, he may give a certain amount of money in charity.
• Continuously make Du’a to Allah to help you abstain from such a sin. Make as much as Tawbah as possible.
If your Tawbah is sincere, Allah will grant you the ability to refrain from sins.
• Consult your parents and other elders on the matter of marriage. If it is possible, then do so. If it is not possible to get married, then try to make fasts, as this will seek to reduce one’s carnal desires.
• We advise you to promptly identify a spiritual guide who you may seek advice and guidance from. Spending time in his supervision and adhering to his advice will enable you to overcome this challenge.
• Obtain a copy of some of the following books:
- “What happens after death” By Mufti Muhammad ‘Ashiq Ilahi – Translated by Mufti Afzal Hossen Elias – This will help you acknowledge what is to come after death and help you stay conscious of Allah Almighty.
- The Beginning of Guidance (Bidayat al-Hidāyah) by Shaykh Abu Hamid Al-Ghazali – This will motivate you to build God-consciousness (taqwa) and avoid sins.
- Easy Good Deeds by Mufti Taqi Uthmāni – This will help you keep occupied with good deeds.
- Remedies to Spiritual Maladies by Maulana Shah Hakim Akhtar sb. Translated by Mufti Zubair Bhayat – This book deals with various spiritual ailments and their remedies and has proven to be of tremendous benefit
- Tasawwuf & Sulook – Mawlana Zulfiqar sb – This book also deals with the science of self-rectification and purifying one’s soul of spiritual ailments.
- The Harms of Casting Lustful Glances – By Mawlana Shah Abdul Hamid Ishaq sb. PDF available here: https://ka.org.za/sites/default/files/kitaabs/The%20harms%20of%20casting%20lustful%20glances.pdf
- A gift For the Youth by Jamiatul Ulama’ KZN – An indispensable guide to help the youth identify these evils and dissuade them from it. The entire book is beneficial, whilst Chapter 5 in particular relates to Pornography. PDF available here: https://jamiat.org.za/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/tuhfatush-shabaab.pdf
We supplicate that Allah eases your affairs and grants you the ability to practice a life of righteousness and goodness. Ameen.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best.
Mufti Mubasshir Ahmed
7 Jamadal Oula / 12 December 2021
Concurred by: Abdullah Desai | Annas Shah
Approved by: Mufti Tahir Wadee
Note: This fatwa is only to be viewed with the question asked. In the event of presenting this to a third party, please ensure it is coupled with the original question, as well as the references below for Islamic Scholars.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this answer belong only to: the author, any concurring Ulama’ and the senior approving Muftis – they do not in any way represent or reflect the views of any institutions to which he may be affiliated.
Arguments and ideas propounded in this answer are based on the juristic interpretations and reasoning of the author. Given that contemporary issues and their interpretations are subjective in nature, another Mufti may reach different conclusions to the one expressed by the author. Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure total accuracy and soundness from a Shari’ah perspective, the author is open to any correction or juristic guidance. In the event of any juristic shortcomings, the author will retract any or all of the conclusions expressed within this answer.
The Shari’ah ruling given herein is based specifically on the scenario in question. The author bears no responsibility towards any party that acts or does not act on this answer and is exempted from any and all forms of loss or damage. This answer may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent from the author. Consideration is only given and is restricted to the specific links provided, the author does not endorse nor approve of any other content the website may contain.