Is it permissible to use trading platforms like trading 212 or plus500 to buy and sell stocks and crypto-currencies?
In the Name of Allah, the Most Gracious, the Most Merciful.
As-salāmu ‘alaykum wa-rahmatullāhi wa-barakātuh.
There are a few points to consider in your query:
1) Plus500 and Trading212 are both leading providers of various modes of trading including CFD, shares/stocks, cryptocurrencies, or forex.
Accordingly, the following details may be noted:
1) If one is dealing with Contracts for Difference (CFDs) through the platform, the early stages of the following Fatwa will be beneficial Insha’Allah: https://deenspire.com/cfd-and-ftmo-trading/
2) In the case where one is dealing with shares/stocks and not CFD, one may refer to the following Fatwa: https://deenspire.com/investing-in-shares/
3) In the case where one is dealing with cryptocurrencies, one may refer to the following Fatwa for clarity: https://deenspire.com/trading-cryptocurrencies-bitcoin-etc/
4) In the case where one is dealing with Forex, one may refer to the following Fatwa for clarity: https://deenspire.com/forex-trading/
Overall, the ruling of using such trading platforms will be based on the type of trading performed. If the trading is lawful, using such a platform will be lawful and if the trading is unlawful, using such a platform will be unlawful.
And Allah Ta’āla Knows Best.
(Mufti) Mubasshir Talha – May Allah pardon him
Mufti Tahir Wadee
Note: This fatwa is only to be viewed with the question asked. In the event of presenting this to a third party, please ensure it is coupled with the original question, as well as the references below for Islamic Scholars.
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in this answer belong only to: the author, any concurring Ulama’ and the senior approving Muftis – they do not in any way represent or reflect the views of any institutions to which he may be affiliated.
Arguments and ideas propounded in this answer are based on the juristic interpretations and reasoning of the author. Given that contemporary issues and their interpretations are subjective in nature, other Muftis may reach different conclusions to the one expressed by the author. Whilst every effort has been taken to ensure total accuracy and soundness from a Shari’ah perspective, the author is open to any correction or juristic guidance. In the event of any juristic shortcomings, the author will retract any or all of the conclusions expressed within this answer.
The Shari’ah ruling given herein is based specifically on the scenario in question. The author bears no responsibility towards any party that acts or does not act on this answer and is exempted from any and all forms of loss or damage. This answer may not be used as evidence in any court of law without prior written consent from the author. Consideration is only given and is restricted to the specific links provided, the author does not endorse nor approve of any other content the website may contain.